Friday, January 15, 2016

Status update for early 2016

Hi there,

Long time I haven't post here, I was too busy in RL to pay much attention to the blog.

On the Eve side, I moved to a low sec system a couple of months back, moving all my assets to
that system, planing a lot of safe warp point, insta warp-off and insta-dock. Over the course
of those few months, I lost only a couple of empty T1 industrials on the warp gates. Mostly due
to my careless jump before checking if it was safe on the other side.

I decided on Monday to move everything back to Hi-Sec, since I almost lost my newly bought Freighter.
As I warped my scout to the other side, I checked d-scan and local for a couple of seconds, then
jumped my freighter. As I pressed Jump, I noticed a t2 frigate in warp to my gate then landing on it !
As my scout was still holding his cloak, and that pilot surely noticed the gate activating, I kept the cloak on my freighter, and lure the frigate to a warp to the sun. Sure thing, he did followed me, but instead, I was warping to a safe in direction of the sun, so, he landed alone overthere, while I was warping out of the system via that very same gate :-)
In the meantime, as we were warping to the sun, I decloaked the freighter and warped it slooooooowly to my insta-dock at the station. That was somewhat a close call. I was already pondering about moving out before this episode, I was now convinced that I had to move out.
My low-sec system is a secondary staging system for a low-sec alliance, which is at war since a few months with some big null-sec alliances. If you follow the news in Eve Online, you already heard about that.

So, well, that episode told me that I have to move everything back to HiSec. At least, now, I have a freighter (and still have :-) ), and moving my stuff won't be as painful as it was in last October. My last production batch was due to finish this Friday morning, so, by the end of this weekend, it should be done.

With that part almost done, I'm focusing in optimizing my operations in HiSec. My main issue is that my base of operation is pretty far from my trade hub, which mean that I'm back with long travel time to ship my production to the tradehub. Since I've scaled up, it's roughly 3 to 4 millions of m3 per batch, or 3 to 4 full freighter haul.

To help me with my planification, I built a tentacular excel spreadsheet, feeding autonomously from various websites and from my LMeve DB. It keep track on my production costs, per system, per BPO according to their research level, my stocks in minerals, salvage parts, my operating costs, an historic of my transactions (with graphs).
I'm working on that spreadsheet since august or july 2015, and I keep adding new stuff almost weekly. I know that most of that job has been done already by people who have a way better understanding of the game mechanics than me, but this is my way to have a better grasp at Eve, to fully understand its complexity. I don't want to use something perfect built by someone else, I want to have a faulty tool, built by me, which I will improve as my knowledge improve.

I already revamped most of the sheets at least twice, to add taxes, deductions, automate feeds and so one. I had to learn VBA for excell (I'm an old school ASM and C guy), PHP to deal with LMeve, re-learn most of my SQL knowledge from 20 years back, and how to deal with excel. I would say that I spend more time toying around with excel than playing.
My in-game interactions are limited to buying minerals, negotiating contracts to move from point
A to point B or moving items myself, setting my build and sell orders, that's it.

Boring ? not at all in my opinion.
Some people like shooting at little red crosses (or those new icons for NPCs), others at hunting people in low/null secs, at exploring, at space-trucking, at trading and so one. Eve Online is a sandbox, you could do whatever you want if you like that kind of activity.
That's why Eve Online is such a powerfull game.

Be creative, fix yourself an objective, and go for it. (Oh, and please, get blown up doing it, that's a game after all)

That's it for now.
I have some further planifications to do for the weekend :-)

Fly safe.











No comments:

Post a Comment