Thursday, December 1, 2016

An interesting thought




As I said earlier, I do follow closely a youtuber named Delonewolf. In his latest video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDegLW4E2Xc) he came to the conclusion that most industrial players will move to a public Raitaru instead of deploying (or using) their own POS for their activities. Interesting thought, since I came to that same conclusion a few months back when CCP announced the engineering complexes, and released a few details about them. 

For me, it’s a hassle to plan for the logistic needed to deploy the POS, while using it at its max potential for a few days: I have to have enough fuel in it for 1-2-3 days in a row, I have to stock up enough minerals in a NPC station to be able to produce items around the clock while the POS is up, with as minimum downtime as possible between batches, across 6 characters. My goal is to extract as much work as possible per fuel block, for the amount of time the POS is up.

For a solo corporation like mine, keeping the logistic up for more than a few days is not possible. I have to ferry back and forth million of m3 of items and minerals, with just one freighter. In a 24h period, I could build more than 2 million m3 of items (ships/modules/rigs), and need at least 2 trips from my production system to my tradehub, more than 40 minutes per trip. Then, I have to keep buying minerals, without buying too much of them, and ferry them back to my production system. That’s close to a full time job if you ask me.

Now, having a bunch of public engineering complexes available, I won’t need to be as committed as before at keeping the pipe full of jobs. For sure, I may have to use more than one engineering complex, to profit from the various rigs. I may split my production to various engineering complexes, and maybe even to multiple systems, but at least, I won’t need to move hundreds of millions of m3 of minerals each day. A single Kryo, or two, may be enough for most activities. For sure, I will have to adapt my logistic chain, but I could deal with that. 

My first immediate benefice is that, I won’t have to bother with the inherent cost of running the POS , while nothing is running in it (slightly less than 3m ISK per day, and less than 90m per month), and only paying the factory tax plus the system factory index. 

My real biggest issue with Ascension, is to find a way to hack my excel sheets to deal with the new way of calculating taxes. The owner of the engineering complex could change it whenever he want, and change its rig configuration without warning. There must be a way to find this information from the CREST API interface.

No comments:

Post a Comment